Thursday, September 9, 2021

You can call me “Bluegill Bill”

 Those who know me well know this: For the 17 years or so I’ve been with the Loveland Fishing Club, I have been in dogged, some say mindless, pursuit of a Colorado Master Angler bluegill. They are gorgeous, tough little devils, but don’t grow well here in the land of fluctuating water levels and near-total lack of hard cover. Which perhaps explains why I and a few other lonely missionaries keep chasing a very few big ones, while others mindlessly pursue skinny but tastier walleye.

My version of Don Quixote ended abruptly Wednesday morning on an unnamed, snake- and mosquito-infested pond not too far from Loveland. That’s when I (and my secret Gulp minnow) battled and subdued an obese, 10 ½ inch male that had been naively feasting on a ball of bait fish. That’s a full 5 percent over the minimum to qualify for a Colorado Master Angler patch for the species.

Meanwhile, elsewhere on the pond, Wayne B muttered said something about

catching a couple 4- or 5-pound largemouths that had been feasting on another school of minnows.


All I can say about that is, his float tube was pretty far away. All I can say for certain is, there were a couple of greenish looking fish flopping around in his landing net.  I still haven’t seen any photos. But here’s mine:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will be reviewed before they can be seen by all visitors.