Monday, May 3, 2021

Prater submits first Angler of the Year candidate - a 28-inch carp!

 The Angler of the Year competition has its first entry - Bill Prater’s 28-inch grass carp, released back into Bass Pond not longer after the club’s breakfast Friday, April 29. As Bill reported: “Okay, if you needed proof that Nanofil is tough stuff, know that I just hauled out a 28-inch grass carp from Bass Pond that I foul hooked with my ultralight rig set up with 4-pound test monofil and a 4-pound fluorocarbon leader - attached to a 1/32-oz jighead tipped with a 1-inch Gulp minnow. If you look at the attached photo, you can see the little jighead still holding on…”

Bill reports the monster “took off and stripped almost all my 150 yards of line and dragged me all over the damned place before Wayne got a look at it and yelled, ‘You hooked him on the dorsal fin!’ I never did get him into my tube, but finally dragged him over next to Wayne (Baranczyk) and he netted him for me. The little jighead was all bent up, but firmly attached to the fin.”

The fish measured 93.333 percent of the Colorado Master Angler criteria for its species.

Photo of Bill's fish by Wayne Baranczyk

Entries will be accepted through Dec. 31, with the Angler of the Year award presented at the club’s January meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will be reviewed before they can be seen by all visitors.