Friday, September 27, 2019

Really nice writeup on the Senior Derby by Fish Explorer

Matt Snider, the executive editor of Fish Explorer, joined us at Wednesday's derby and posted the following writeup on the website.  http://fishexplorer.com

LFC Senior Fishing Derby

Blog by: Matt Snider 9/26/2019
When the time comes I am no longer able to physically or mentally get out and go fishing on my own, the only thing I ask is that you come take me fishing now and again. Since my earliest memories, I have spent nearly every day wanting to be fishing.  I can't imagine that'll ever go away.

Which brings me to this. Yesterday was the Loveland Fishing Club's 11th Annual Senior Fishing Derby, which Bill Prater wrote about in August.  I had a moment to visit with Bill at the event held at Flatiron Reservoir, and I wanted to share some photos with you all.

So much kudos goes out to the LFC for putting this event on.  62 men and women from about 8 senior living centers from various locations (mostly around Loveland) took shuttles with helpful staff members to spend the morning fishing for trout.  Numerous LFC members and other volunteers busily attended to the anglers stationed up and down the lake.  The fishing pier was dedicated to those unable to navigate the shoreline safely.

Numerous fishing rods were rigged up ready to go. There was the worm crew assorting bite-size bait into small canisters for each participant, and there was the front line crew casting rigs out and landing fish.  There was a fish cleaning crew that took care of preparing meat for the anglers who wanted it, and there were a whole lot of others preparing lunch and tending to snacks and drinks. Food was served and awards and prizes handed out (including Oldest Man/Oldest Woman.)

Fish were caught while hoots and hollers soared up and down the shore.

Bill wrote about the derby in detail, I just wanted to express my gratitude and share a little of this experience.  I know running an event of this sort is difficult, takes a lot of preparation, and there are a lot of moving parts.  I would love to see more of this happening around the state.  I know there are many similar events that occur but don't get much attention.  Consider FishExplorer a place to share them.  Shoot me information any time you have an event like this, submit it to our calendar ahead of time, or consider sending photos and a write-up as a guest blog.

I know there were plenty of folks there that were grateful to be out fishing.  Thank you LFC for this event and all else you do.
Rods rigged, ready to go - and these were just the backupsBeautiful day at the Larimer County ParksDotting the shoreline, hauling in fish
Bill to the rescue - freeing up snags from muddy shorelinesWheelchairs on the pier, walkers and chairs on the shoreWorm crew kept busy all morning
Medals you won`t see at many other fishing events.
Blog content © Matt Snider
Blog Comments
bgflys, CO   9/26/2019 7:30:51 AM
This is outstanding and much needed! Did they have the lake stocked prior? I would like to do something like this in Colorado Springs. Well done!!
Matt Snider (Matt), CO   9/26/2019 11:51:13 AM
I got word that the lake was stocked prior. I am not sure how much or whether or not it was due to this event. Let's chat if you think this is something you'd like to take on down in CO Springs. I can help facilitate if nothing else, I am sure Bill and the others could offer some framework.
bgflys, CO   9/26/2019 7:49:44 PM
I would be interested. How much time in advance did you plan? I'm thinking around spring of '20 due to my schedule and hunting. Wondered how it was promoted and participation? Looked like there were quite a few participants. I'm not sure what lake but first thought is Quail lake due to accessibility. I also wondered about fishing licenses and if I recall there is now a charge for the senior lifetime license. I would be willing to help with that cost depending on participation. What did they use for transportation? Their own vehicles? Assistance? Handicap access? EMT on site? Sorry just a few brainstorming questions...
bgflys, CO   9/26/2019 8:00:04 PM
Ok - I read Bill Prater's blog and got a ton more info. I will start checking for sponsors and do some more research. I'm not sure how much participation I would get but it seems that it could grow fast. I want it manageable also. Thanks for the reply and I will reach out to get advice in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will be reviewed before they can be seen by all visitors.