Friday, January 26, 2018

Really cool jig fishing tip

Okay gang, I am sharing a link to one of my favorite YouTube videos, from Richard Gene, the Fishing Machine, a crazy old Southerner who really knows how to fish and is a kick to listen to. I just tried his suggestion for keeping soft plastic crappie jigs to stop slipping off jig heads, using dental floss.  I used some 1/32 oz. minnow heads and trout magnets, but don't see why it wouldn't work just as well for a larger swimbait or a grub. What he does is wrap dental floss a couple times around the shank of the hook and ties it off with a granny knot before super gluing it to the jig.  (It's easier if you use a fly tying vice, and for me the best kind of super glue to use is been Loctite Gel. Doesn't get all over your hands as badly) The floss lets the glue really set up tight against the hook, so it doesn't slide up and down.  I've tied up half a dozen in different colors, and plan to tie up a bunch in advance before spring, so I can kick your butts on the water.

If you're using a Ned rig, I don't think the dental floss trick is necessary.  I started super gluing those too, last summer, but with the flat bottom of the jig head you can get a good tight bond with Z-Man plastics without going to the trouble of using the floss.

Anyway, here's the link.  Let me know what you think.  (By the way, you can comment on this blog now; I'll see if we can do it without attracting too many spammers the way we did in creating the blog a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/cXqIPXWbk-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will be reviewed before they can be seen by all visitors.